Xian (pronounced Sheeanne) Tang Dynasty Music & Dance Show/City wall/Pagoda/Terracotta warriors. This was another full day!

We went on a tour of the stone city wall and then to a pagoda which is where the monks keep their records and pray in. Quite interesting but the highlight was learning about the terracotta warriors. We ended up buying a life size 5 foot stone warrior with 3 heads (one of mine/one of Randy's/one of the warrior that we can interchange) . I think we'll put it out front of our house! Michael inherits it when we die! We got 4 little ones for the boys which Randy wanted to
buy for them. Its something WE saw and think is special, but they won't have any context of them, other than Michael so I'm personally not sure if they'll really like them. I understand Michael so much more-I see why he likes rice so much, hotpot, dim sum, eating around the table and his mannerisms which he was probably raised by and I recognize. I see why he likes Hong Kong so much. It is the 'free' part of China and growing so much. I can see how his engineering degree could be used there and give him a future-other than being so expensive. Many start off by living in a 200 feet apartment which costs a 1/2 million US dollars! About the terracotta warriors: 2000 statues have been found so far but there are 40 'graveyards' found and only 3 of them have been excavated so far. They were first found by a farmer in 1974 and the museum opened in 1979 so they worked fast for 5 years! When they are exposed to air, the color dissolves within 4 minutes! It was very spectacular to see and learn about them! They explained that the emperor had these warriors all created to take him to the next life, a city of warriors surrounding him so he would have a good next life. Many were killed and basically slaves creating these warriors. I commented 'what a waste' and Randy said 'well look at what he did to create an economy today for his country! I guess he's right in one way, but its like Hitler becoming famous for the things he's done! It doesn't make it right or a good thing in ANY way!

Comments
Post a Comment